Monday, December 13, 2010

Hard Disk Getting Filled In Windows 7

While working in office I noticed the Low Disk Space message on my Windows 7 machine. I calculated the total amount of memory consumed and it summed up to just 21 GB whereas the primary partition that was filled up had 30 GB of space.
Although the problem is not solved yet, but still I accumulated a lot of interesting bits of information.
First one is a tool named “TreeSize”.
TreeSize is a free tool that examines folders or hard drives to indicate the information consumed by items. It shows a lot of info that windows explorer does not show.
For example, through TreeSize I found that there is a file named “hiberfil.sys” which is consuming 1.5 GB of my Hard disk space and an MSOCache Folder which is consuming upto 2 GB of space.


Then I went on to search how to remove and get back the 1.5 GB space. Through this I determined that if hibernation is disabled then this file gets deleted automatically.
I found a very good article to do that and I am including its link below.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/15140/what-is-hiberfil.sys-and-how-do-i-delete-it/

Another folder that was eating a lot of space was MSOCache. On research it was discovered that this folder is related to MSOffice and is never recommended to delete it with windows explorer. The right way to clean this is to use Windows Cleanup Wizard

One last bit of information that was related to all this was using the "%temp%" command which should be typed in Run text box. This box is either displayed by clicking the start button or press Windows Button on Keyboard in combination with letter R . Novice users should just keep in mind that it displays a list of temporary files that you can delete without any fear or danger. In case, While deleting these files you encounter a warning that a particular file should not be deleted then you should not delete that file. Deleting these temporary will also make a lot of space available

The sad part of this story is that within 2 minutes of freeing up 1.5 GB my hard disk got filled again

No comments:

Post a Comment